A panel discussion Saturday morning will bring together leaders of several Lawrence and Douglas County-area labor unions.
Matt Hall, secretary-treasurer of Teamsters Local 696, will moderate the panel. The union represents workers of multiple City of Lawrence departments and numerous other local employee groups.
The panel will feature representatives from:
• the International Association of Firefighters Local 1596, the Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical union;
• Lawrence Education Association, the Lawrence Public Schools teachers union;
• PAL-CWA, the Lawrence school district classified staff union (Personnel Association of Lawrence – Communication Workers of America);
• the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners;
• and Starbucks union organizers.
The event is this month’s Douglas County Democrats’ Saturday Seminar, a regular program that features a new topic each month.
“Organized Labor in Douglas County: A Report from Union Leaders” is set for 10 to 11:15 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 17 at the Lawrence Arts Center auditorium, 940 New Hampshire St. It’s free and open to the public. The event will also be livestreamed at this link, and a recording will be available to view afterward.
There will also be networking opportunities from 9:30 to 10 a.m. ahead of the panel.