KU residence hall briefly evacuated for refrigeration leak; no risk to students, first responders say

Share this post or save for later

Ellsworth Hall was evacuated Friday afternoon as first responders cleared a hazardous materials call in an attached storage building.

Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical responders were dispatched to a call that initially came in as a fire alarm and was upgraded to a high-level hazmat call around 4:45 p.m. Friday.

Kevin Joles, division chief of LDCFM, said the building houses IT equipment and a data center. He said there was a refrigeration leak.

Freon can be an irritant to the skin or lungs. It is also highly flammable.

Joles said KU facilities and maintenance staff members were able to shut off the leak quickly.

He said crews checked with some students and used monitors to make sure the air quality in Ellsworth was OK. There is no danger to students, Joles said.

Ellsworth Hall, 1734 Engel Road, houses 580 coed residents, according to KU’s website.

August Rudisell/Lawrence Times LDCFM crews respond to Ellsworth Residence Hall, Sept. 22, 2023.
If our local journalism matters to you, please help us keep doing this work.
Don’t miss a beat … Click here to sign up for our email newsletters

Click here to learn more about our newsletters first

Latest Lawrence news:


Previous Article

Navigating family losses, Lawrence girl will represent city in national pageant competition

Next Article

Kansas special committee leans harder toward raising legislators’ annual base salary to $45,000