Advertisement

Flammable containers cause explosions in Lawrence garage fire

Share this post or save for later

Article updated to add video and photos, 2:20 p.m. Friday, Oct. 1:

Flammable containers caught fire Thursday night, causing explosions inside a detached garage at a Lawrence home.

Advertisement

Firefighters arrived at 10:07 p.m. Thursday to a fire in the 1500 block of Cadet Avenue. Flames had engulfed the detached, adjacent garage when they arrived, according to a release from Tom Fagan, division chief of administration for Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical.

“Due to the size and amount of fire, firefighters from Quint 2 deployed a high-flow attack hose to confine the large fire to the home and garage,” the release stated. “Firefighters initiated a defensive posture for the fire attack as flammable containers ignited, causing explosions inside the garage.”

There were no injuries.

The fire was still under investigation, and damages had not yet been determined as of Friday morning.

Don Brennaman/Contributed Photo A detached garage smolders on Thursday, Sept. 30, 2021 in the 1500 block of Cadet Avenue.
Don Brennaman/Contributed Photo Firefighters work at the scene of a detached garage fire Thursday, Sept. 30, 2021 in the 1500 block of Cadet Avenue.
Don’t miss a beat … Click here to sign up for our email newsletters

More public safety news:

MORE …

Previous Article

Events bring awareness to children’s deaths at Indian boarding schools, honor survivors

Next Article

City of Lawrence bans airsoft, BB and paintball guns in parks after hearing community concerns