Fire at Lawrence strip mall was accidental, fire department says

Share this post or save for later

A fire at a Lawrence strip mall Thursday afternoon was an accident caused by an “electrical event,” according to a news release from Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical.


Firefighters were working at the strip mall at 2201 W. 25th St. around 4:30 p.m. Thursday, according to LDCFM. The building houses May Spa and Formosa Bakery, near 25th and Iowa streets.

“Our firefighters quickly found the fire in the attic and confined it to the area of origin,” according to the release. “During the incident, smoke spread to other occupancies in the strip mall, but fire damage was limited to the single business.”

There were no injuries, according to LDCFM, and loss estimates were still being determined as of Friday afternoon.

August Rudisell / The Lawrence Times Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical personnel work at the scene of a fire at 2201 W. 25th St. on Dec. 16, 2021.
Don’t miss a beat … Click here to sign up for our email newsletters

More public safety news:


Previous Article

Lawrence photographer tells story of community’s response to first year of COVID-19 pandemic in new book

Next Article

Surging COVID-19 case numbers have some Kansas hospitals sapped of bed space, resources