Following several months of renovations, the Watkins Museum of History will open its newly completed Kramer Family Research Room to the public on Saturday.
The renovation is thanks to what began as a $75,000 donation and later grew to $100,000 from Carol J. Koenig in memory of her mother, Daisy Viola Kramer Koenig, who grew up in Douglas County.
“The project included restoration of the building’s original architectural details and a reconfiguration of the space to accommodate changing community needs and meet professional standards for archival management,” according to a news release from the museum. ‘The finished space features a public research room, expanded storage, and updated equipment for digitizing and processing archival collections.”
The event is set for 2:30 to 4 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 29 at the museum, 1047 Massachusetts St.
“After a short presentation in the Community Room, the public will be invited to tour the newly finished space on the museum’s second floor,” according to the release. “As always, admission to the Watkins is free.”
The Watkins will resume research services once its collections have been relocated to the new storage areas in mid-November, according to the release.
For more information or to schedule an appointment for research services, visit watkinsmuseum.org.