Two dogs died in a fire Saturday afternoon at an encampment near Burcham Park in Lawrence, according to Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical.
Kevin Joles, LDCFM division chief, said via email Saturday evening that firefighters were called to the fire at 1 p.m. Saturday. Burcham Park is near Second and Indiana streets, just west of the Kansas River.
“The fire was caused by stoves used for cooking and warmth that were too close to combustible materials,” Joles said.
Firefighters gained access to the location through a locked gate and quickly extinguished the fire, but the two dogs perished, Joles said.
The fire was determined to be accidental due to improper use of a heat source near combustibles, Joles said.
No firefighters were hurt in the incident, and crews returned to service afterward, he said.
We asked to clarify whether any people were injured, and for more specific information about the circumstances of the fire. Joles said he was unable to provide further information Saturday evening.