Dangerous wind chills, snow continue in Lawrence; Wednesday expected to be slightly warmer before temps drop again

Share this post or save for later

Lawrence is likely to see more snow Monday, and extreme wind chills below 0° are expected to persist until Wednesday.

The National Weather Service in Topeka forecasts a 70% chance of snow during the day Monday and 30% chance Monday evening, gradually clearing. Snow accumulation of up to an inch is possible, according to NWS.

Douglas County Emergency Management warned that snow bands could reduce visibility on roadways in the county Monday afternoon.

“Roadways may quickly become snow-covered and slick,” according to DgCoEM.

The forecast shows an overnight low of -9°, and wind chills are expected to be between -13° and -23°.

A wind chill warning issued last week will remain in effect until noon Tuesday. Tuesday’s wind chills are expected to be between -14° and -24°, with a high of 15°.

This map from the National Weather Service in Topeka shows wind chills of -20° in the area of Douglas County the morning of Monday, Jan. 15, 2024. (@NWSTopeka on Twitter)

Wednesday is forecast to offer slight relief with sunny skies and temperatures that could reach a high of 32° in Lawrence.

Thursday, however, the forecasted high is 24° with an overnight low of 0°; the forecasted high drops to 12° on Friday, with an overnight low of -3° forecast for Friday night into Saturday.

Both days and Thursday night are expected to be windy, with gusts between 20 and 30 mph.

As of just before noon Monday, the forecast showed that Sunday is expected to be partly sunny with a high near 34°.

Overnight shelter is available for anyone who needs to get out of the cold. Read more about current options at this link.

See links to severe weather resources below.

If our local journalism matters to you, please help us keep doing this work.
Don’t miss a beat … Click here to sign up for our email newsletters

Click here to learn more about our newsletters first

This post is by the Lawrence Times news team.

If you have news tips, questions, comments, concerns, compliments or corrections for our team, please reach out and let us know what’s on your mind. Find our contact info (and a quick contact form) at LawrenceKSTimes.com/contact.

Follow us so you won’t miss the local news that matters most to you:

Latest Lawrence news:


Severe weather resources

National Weather Service local office (Topeka):
 Find the latest weather forecast info and severe weather advisories for the Lawrence area at this link.

In the event of rapidly changing severe weather, such as tornadoes, the NWS posts frequent updates on Twitter, @NWSTopeka. You do not need a Twitter account to see tweets from NWS.

NWS is also on Facebook, facebook.com/NWSTopeka.

 Call 785-234-2592 to hear the forecast.

Douglas County Emergency Management:
Follow @DgCoEM on Twitter or Douglas County, KS- Emergency Management on Facebook, facebook.com/dgcoem.

Sign up to receive emergency alerts at dgcoks.org/emalerts.

Find lots of tips on severe weather and other emergency preparedness on DgCoEM’s website at douglascountyks.org/emergency-management.

Report storm damage (for non-emergencies only, and after storm danger has passed) by calling the nonemergency dispatch line at 785-843-0250 or 785-832-7509.

Evergy outages:
Check the status of power outages on the Evergy outage map, outagemap.evergy.com.

Report a power outage at evergy.com/report-outage, or call 800-544-4857.

For down powerlines, call 911.

City of Lawrence snow info:
The city has snow information and a map at lawrenceks.org/snow that shows information about road conditions and snow plow locations. The city typically begins snow and ice control for residential roadways when 2 or more inches of snowfall or icing occurs.

Air quality:
Check the current air quality index in Lawrence and elsewhere through AirNow, airnow.gov.

Previous Article

Kaw Valley Almanac for Jan. 15-21, 2024

Next Article

No school for Lawrence Public Schools, Haskell Tuesday