3 people, pet displaced after fire at Reserve apartments in Lawrence

Share this post or save for later

Three people and a pet were displaced Friday night after a fire in an apartment at the Reserve in southern Lawrence.

Crews were dispatched to the fire at 2511 W. 31st St. around 8:25 p.m. Friday, according to a news release from Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical.

The fire was largely contained by a single fire sprinkler head in the apartment where the fire started, which was on the second floor of the three-story building. Crews were able to ensure the fire did not spread, according to the release.

A resident in one apartment initially refused to leave the building, “prompting a request for assistance from Lawrence Police Officers,” according to the release. “The resident eventually evacuated on their own.”

Crews had the fire under control before 9 p.m. Other residents were able to return to their apartments unharmed, and there were no injuries to any firefighters.

The fire was determined to be an accident caused by a candle igniting a blanket, according to the release, and damage estimates were not yet available Saturday morning.

August Rudisell/Lawrence Times Firefighters work at the scene of a fire at the Reserve in Lawrence, March 22, 2024.
If our local journalism matters to you, please help us keep doing this work.
Don’t miss a beat … Click here to sign up for our email newsletters

Click here to learn more about our newsletters first

This post is by the Lawrence Times news team.

If you have news tips, questions, comments, concerns, compliments or corrections for our team, please reach out and let us know what’s on your mind. Find our contact info (and a quick contact form) at this link.

Follow us so you won’t miss the local news that matters most to you:

Latest Lawrence news:


Previous Article

KU Innovation Park to host inaugural Lawrence Tech Conference

Next Article

Photos: City holds grand opening for Lawrence Transit Central Station